I haven’t concentrated too much on directors in these entries, so here are a few bits of my favorite directing-related trivia:
- In the first eleven Academy Awards ceremonies, 7 of the Best Director winners were named Frank:
- William Wyler has the most nominations (12), and has directed the most Best Picture winners (3), the most Academy Award-nominated performances (36), and the most winning performances (14). All are unlikely to be broken:
- The closest active directors in terms of nominations are Steven Spielberg (7) and Martin Scorsese (8).
- The only active director who has directed two Best Picture winners is Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven  and Million Dollar Baby ).
- To date, Martin Scorsese has directed 22 nominated performances; Woody Allen, 18.
- Woody Allen has directed 7 Academy Award-winning performances; Scorsese and Clint Eastwood have 5 apiece.
- Three directors have been nominated for Best Director twice in the same year:
- Clarence Brown (1929/30): Anna Christie and Romance (lost to Lewis Milestone for All Quiet on the Western Front)
- Michael Curtiz (1938): Four Daughters and Angels with Dirty Faces (lost to Frank Capra for You Can’t Take it With You)
- Steven Soderbergh (2001): Erin Brockovich and Traffic (won for Traffic)
- Two directors have twice been nominated for Best Actor and Best Director for the same film:
- Warren Beatty (Heaven Can Wait , lost both; Reds , won Best Director)
- Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven , won Best Director; Million Dollar Baby , won Best Director)